Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Destination-Situations

Here is where you will post your destination situation responses. Please first include the 5 details from research you will include in your journal entry. For example, the destination-situation is Paris- you are there all alone and have never spoken french:

1. 66% of french speakers can speak some form of English (http://www.experts123.com/q/can-french-people-speak-english.html)

2. The drinking age in france is 16 years old. ( http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=drinking+age+in+france&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=80834014c217cffa)

3.In French two weeks is in fact 15 days, quinze jours. ( http://www.americansinfrance.net/culture/littleknownfacts.cfm)

4.In Paris you are never more that 400 meters from a subway station ( http://www.americansinfrance.net/culture/littleknownfacts.cfm)

5. There are 27 wine regions in France (http://www.americansinfrance.net/culture/littleknownfacts.cfm)


I never thought I would be this far away from home, but here I am. I am in France many years after moving away from Mango Street. I never thought a place could be so much more different than home! People here don't seem to know what a fortnight is, but rather 2 weeks is 15 days. Don't ask me how that works. There is very little walking like at home on mango street, everyone rides the subway and it seems that every corner you turn onto there is a way to get to the subway. I always thought coca cola was a delicacy in America but here there is so much wine! I saw young girls drinking wine and it reminded me of being with my friends and drinking cola. I thought that those girls were far too young to be drinking wine but the drinking age here is only 16! I thought I would have difficulty speaking their language, but almost all of the french can at least understand and respond a bit of english.

No comments:

Post a Comment